Friday, April 3, 2020

Quickened Moroccan chicken

One of the reasons I love the multi-cooker is preparing a dish with multiple cooking techniques and having only one vessel to clean up. This Moroccan-style chicken is a recent example, at least the way I modified it.
Our last entry went into some detail on Maillard reactions, and you may have noticed this recipe specifies just putting the chicken and onions in the slow cooker. That means no browning, no Maillard reactions, and if not no, much less, flavor! We can't have that. So after seasoning the chicken almost according to the recipe (I substituted smoked paprika for cayenne, as my family doesn't like hot spicy, and added sumac because it's awesome), I browned the chicken and onions in the cooker on the sauté setting. Then I sort of proceeded with the recipe, after two hours adding the chickpeas, substituting dried mango for apricots and capers for olives, as those were what I had available in the house, and adding an extra cup of stock and a half bag of Trader Joe's Harvest Grains blend to slow cook with everything else.
One pot, minimal fuss, easy cleanup, and seriously delicious. It's even better the next day when all the flavors have melded more.

No comments:

Post a Comment